Relay fog lights or light switch

• So my audi 90 typ 85 has factory fog lights, and has a relay in the slot 1 (relais nebelscheinwerfer). As fog lights work on the parking lights or headlights? On the light switch, position 1 or 2? When I switch on the parking lights (position 1) and turn on fog lights switch hear how the relay is activated but the fog lights are not working. When I remove the fog relay, connect pin 30 and 87, then I can turn on the fog lights without the light switch ... where is the problem?

• I tried to put another relay but the same happens ... It's a classic relay which only conducts current and voltage, the same as the horn ... but the interesting thing is that the relay is no electricity at the fuse fog and when I connect directly to pin 30 and 87 then have the power to fuse fog lights and fog lights are working ... When I turn on fog lights over the light switch then have the power to fuse only as far as the relay need to be activated ... can be a problem in the light switch?

Can you put a scheme of linking fog at Audi, to see in what could be the problem?

• Fog light relay function depends on local traffic rules. In Germany it is not permitted to use fog lights with parking light only

Relay 1 doesen´t switch the lamp itself, it only switches the plus wire from your fog light Switch.

You can bridge pin 30 to pin 87. My Audi has this bridge in condition as supplied to custmers in Switzerland 1987

Hannes

Audi Coupé GT 1987 NG2 Herbert (Lago met.)

Audi Coupé GT 1987 NG1 Hermann (Satinschwarz met.)

Audi Coupé GT 1987 JN - Umbau auf PV Hermine (Lago met.)

Audi A5 Coupé 2010 2,7 TDI Schalter (Granatrot Perleffekt) (Fährt meine Ex damit)

Audi A6 Quattro Limo 2019, 3,0 TDI Automat Typ 45 (Tangorot met.) (Dienstwagen)

Mein erster Thread hier Profirat

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Hannes ()

• Hello all,

there are 3 single pin connectors below the central eclectric (I think white, grey and red). These are connected either in a way to meet Swiss or German law. This is a simple change, no extra wireing required.

Ciao

Werner

There can be only one! Ur-Quattro forever!

MY 85 Ur Quattro (GV Swiss spec.) :)

MY 85 Ur Quattro (WX US spec.):whistling:
    MY 83 Ur Quattro (WX US spec.) ?(
    MY 85 90 quattro (KV German spec.) :D

MY 86 Coupe GT (KX US spec.) ;(
    MY 87 4000 CS quattro (JT US spec., berried in 2012) :(
    MY 81 Audi 100 GL 5E (WC German spec.) :S
    MY 07 Q7 (BAR US spec.) , died 02-2024

MY 17 Q7 (CRER US spec,), ^^
    MY 93 90 CS quattro (AAH US spec., sold 11/23) :rolleyes:
    MY 95 90CS Sport FWD (AAH US spec.; berried in 2015) :(

• Please check vour pin 85 in the slot 1 for the relay.

It should have +12V if the light switch is on (position 1 and/or 2) and ignition is on.
    Pin 86 should be connected to ground "-"

Then the relay should connect pin 30 and 87 if the light is on, in the same way as you did manually.

If it doesn't work, you could bridge pin 30 and 87 permanently as Hannes proposed, then you don*t need the relay.

Josef

• Thanks for your answers ...

I think the problem is the light switch ... I tested the installation, wiring is good .. no interruption wire .. position 2 on the light switch did not work before, so I connected to the parking lights, and now the lights turn on when the parking lights... I currently make a bridge to pin 30 and 87 until I replace it with the correct light switch ...

Will the fog switch heat without relay?

• The fog switch always switches the 110 watts power to the fog lights
    The relay interrupts the contact only if certain conditions exist (country-specific)

To relieve the switch, you need an additional relay (light update not by Audi)

Regards,
    Hannes

Audi Coupé GT 1987 NG2 Herbert (Lago met.)

Audi Coupé GT 1987 NG1 Hermann (Satinschwarz met.)

Audi Coupé GT 1987 JN - Umbau auf PV Hermine (Lago met.)

Audi A5 Coupé 2010 2,7 TDI Schalter (Granatrot Perleffekt) (Fährt meine Ex damit)

Audi A6 Quattro Limo 2019, 3,0 TDI Automat Typ 45 (Tangorot met.) (Dienstwagen)

Mein erster Thread hier Profirat

• That's what I'm talking about, just switch fog lights can not pass such a power, it is necessary to relay .. but I'll not touch anything until I find a new light switch ... Thank you again for your answers ... best Regards

• Dieses Thema enthält 5 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registriere dich oder melde dich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!